Monday, November 14, 2011

Apheresis

Today I learned a big word. Apheresis. My Daddy taught it to me. We went to the big hospital in Vancouver and my Daddy got connected to a machine and they did Apheresis to his blood. It took a long time, but I was a very good baby even though I am not that happy because I have a little cold. I held his hand, well actually only a finger since my hands are so tiny.


Lots of people were nice and smiled at me in the hospital. They said they liked seeing babies where my Daddy was. My parents and my Dad's nurse talked about how babies can come into the world after something like cancer. I know what cancer is and I know my Daddy is very special because he used to have it. I felt pretty special too because when one of the nurses asked my Dad if I was a miracle baby he said "Yes, a miracle of modern science." 
 
Ok, I should sleep now. We just got home from the big boat. My parents are trying really hard to get me to sleep but all I want to do is scream for awhile. It just feels so good to let it all out sometimes. I'll smile real big at my Mom in the morning and she'll forgive me for the screaming.

I saw a lot of things in the hospital today and I think I understand something important. My Mom says if you let leukemia put your life on hold, it will. She says it will hold you in one place as the world rushes past you, leaving you lonely, confused and feeling left out. But my parents are trying hard not to let this happen.

I am here because they decided to live life for now - for this moment and this day, planning for the future even though they have no idea what will happen. Moving forward without knowing how everything will turn out. Making the most of things small and dumb that make them laugh, like when I burp real loud or smile real big, or when my dog Leuk rolls in the sand or lays down in a mud puddle just before jumping in the truck. Trying to love life even though it really sucks sometimes.

My Dad explains that this is it. This is life. It's not what happens after you get better, or before you got sick - it's everything in between. 




No comments:

Post a Comment